- 1 cup packed medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup agave syrup
- 1/2 cup crunchy natural peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 cup roasted unsalted almonds, loosely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups steel cut oats
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup golden flax seeds
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- optional additions: chocolate chips, dried fruit, nuts, banana chips, vanilla, etc.
- Process dates in a food processor until small bits remain (about 1 minute). It should form a “dough” like consistency.
- Toast your oats (and almonds, if needed) in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- Place oats, almonds and dates in a bowl – set aside.
- Warm honey and peanut butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir and pour over oat mixture and then mix, breaking up the dates to disperse throughout.
- Once thoroughly mixed, transfer to an 8×8 dish or other small pan lined with plastic wrap or parchment paper so they lift out easily. (A loaf pan might work, but will yield thicker bars.)
- Press down until uniformly flattened. Cover with parchment or plastic wrap, and let set in fridge or freezer for 15-20 minutes to harden.
- Remove bars from pan and chop into convenient sized bars. Store in an airtight container for up to a few days. I kept mine in the freezer to keep them extra fresh, but it isn’t necessary.