- 4 quarts fresh, picked over blueberries
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Sea Salt
- 1/4 thumb of ginger, peeled and finely diced
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
- Dash ground habañero flakes.
- Rinse blueberries and place into slow cooker.
- Puree blueberries with immersion blender.
- Turn slow cooker on “Low” and cook for 6 hours stirring hourly.
- Add sugar, salt, ginger, nutmeg and habañero flakes to blueberries puree
- Blend with immersion blender again until you have desired smoothness.
- Remove top and cook uncovered for 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Sterilize 3 pint canning jars and lids.
- Fill jars with blueberry butter, clean rim and put lids on. Process for 10 minutes in a water bath.
- Place upside down on a tea towel over night. Do not let the jars touch.
Use as you would a jam or preserves or apple butter. Mix with yogurt or cream cheese. Add a tablespoon to your morning smoothie. It also makes a good base for a sauce.